Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Three Short Sticks

I wanted to make a set of what, in Japanese is called "san-setsu-kon nunchaku" (three piece nunchaku).  In his book, "Nunchaku: Karate Weapon of Self-Defense," Fumio Demura touts the benefit of a three-piece nunchaku as being that "With all nunchaku constructed of more than two pieces, one of the pieces can be cut or torn off and the nunchaku will still be an effective weapon" (Demura, 15).  Thus, there is a definite practical combat rationale for the design.

I suppose in Korean, one might refer to this design as a "Sam Chul Bong" (three short sticks).  While some of the techniques of blocking, striking, and whipping remain the same as with the two-sectioned set, many of the techniques for changing grip must be modified to allow for the additional length.  A benefit of the three-sectioned set is that it allows you a stick with which to block or strike at the same time as another for whipping.

For my design, I chose to utilize the more rounded ends I chose for the first set I made to reflect the fluidity of movement required to effectively wield a flexible weapon.  I took advantage of the fact that this set would have three sections in what I chose to carve into the sticks.  In Han philosophy, there is the realm of Heaven, that of Earth, and the Human Being, who bridges the two.  Heaven is represented by a circle, Earth by a square, and a triangle stands for the Human Being.  Thus, the two end pieces feature a circle and a square while the center piece that joins them displays a triangle motif.

As per usual, each stick was treated with a wood hardening agent and then lightly sanded.  I selected a cherry stain to give the sticks a warm, earthy visual appeal.  Following finishing the sticks with polyurethane, I also added a bit of hardware in the form of antique-styled furniture tacs.  Three tacs circle each stick, again reflecting the theme of three (Heaven, Earth, Human Being), adding aesthetic appeal as well as additional combat practicality.


1 comment:

  1. I have a pair of these in my bag, and have been slowly training to attain proficiency with them. Most of the striking methods I've used with them are more similar to chain whip than what we normally consider "3 section staff." I wrote about it on my blog (plug!) awhile back as well: http://suninsunka.blogspot.com/2011/03/evil-san-setsu-kon.html

    This guy gets it, I think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WNw4PEmwlQ

    ReplyDelete