Saturday, July 16, 2011

Game of Death

It was recently one of my best friends' birthday.  I will withhold his name here as he isn't particularly a fan of birthdays... meaning he isn't a fan of the fact that he has one.  Indeed, I never really wish him a "happy birthday," rather I tell him "happy de-canting day" or just "happy (pause) day."  So, not that he wanted a gift (as that would remind him that he does, in fact, have a birthday) I decided that I would make him a pair of Tahn Do Liga.

He is also a big fan of Bruce Lee.

As such, I designed the pair after the iconic ones Bruce Lee had in the never completed "A Game of Death."  This pair was designed to match the track suit Lee wore in film - simple, and not reflecting the style (emphasis on this word) of uniform from any tradition of martial art.  This reflected Lee's overall philosophy of martial arts.

For those of you not familiar with "A Game of Death," Lee's outfit was paid homage by B's motorcycle suit in "Kill Bill, Volume 1" - bright yellow, with two black stripes down the side.  Thus, for this pair of Ii Chul Bong, I carved two grooves near the end of each stick, painted the sticks bright yellow, and the grooves black.  Over the paint, I applied a polyurethane finish to allow for protection of the paint against wear and moisture, and for smoothness of grip.

Now, for those purists among you, I know - the sticks on Bruce Lee's 'chucks were tapered.  However, I am limited by my current set of equipment (influenced by space and budgetary limits) - meaning lack of lathe.  So this pair was not able to be tapered.

That said, I was pleased with the outcome.  And so was my friend.  Happy Birthday, Dan!  (Ooops!  I said your name ; ) )



No comments:

Post a Comment